Dance, movement, angry mums...

Sunday 16 October 2011

Today was spent mostly running about themothertown of Bedford with a camera, and a spring in my step. I had been commissioned by the council to shoot the dance festival, which had a broad range of dancing styles across a variety of displays - in various locations. The brief was quite straight forward - get some cool shots of the dances, show some diversity, a range of races, ages, styles...and let your camera do the rest. So I did just that!

It was a bit of a new experience as I was completely left to my own devices. Some of the displays were absolutely amazing, including some really funky displays from street dance outfits A-Pex and Two-Step - these crews had some moves, and luckily I got some tidy shots of them doing their thing. A few examples below!

The only downfall of the day was having a mum blow up at me all red faced and well spoken as I accidentally trod on her daughters sandwich when glued to my camera's viewfinder while moving gently through a crowd to get a good shot at the front of the masses. The conversation went a bit like this:

me: excuse me, sorry do you mind if I just get a shot from the front, excuse me...
woman: just walk through then why don't you?!?!
me: ok thanks
woman: no you can't
(by which point I already had)
woman: Oi you. Oi
(I took three or four shots, which was all I needed, then turned to her...)
me: yes?
woman: you could have said excuse me
me: I did. And thanks.
woman: well you stood on my daughters sandwich?
me: sorry did I?
(she reveals squashed sandwich)
me: sorry about that...I'm really sorry...
woman: yeah you should be!
me: I am. I didn't even realise...I'll happily replace it?
woman: you could have said excuse me.
me: I did. Twice. Why did you leave it on the floor?
woman: I didn't think anyone would walk on it?
me: on the floor?
woman: yeah!!
me: you didn't think anyone would walk on it on the floor...
woman: no. I mean yeah. I mean no I didn't.
me: do you not walk on the floor then?
woman: no!
me: No...

I shook my head and walked away smiling. She went very red, I thought she might actually go after me for a second. Or possibly literally explode. I got a good picture of her from the other side of the crowd though, picking her nose (not even kidding. If I was more evil I would post it up here...).

It's probably obviously clear she was miffed I had got in her way to take a couple of shots. Its possible I stood on the sandwich, but I think I would have noticed to be honest with you and it kind of sounded like she just wanted to move me on so she could get her place at the very front back.

It must be made clear that under no circumstances will I ever let anyone at any event I shoot get in the way of me doing my job. Simple!

If I ever meet that lady again I will buy her the best sandwich she or her daughter have ever had.

Despite this one little intrusion, I was delighted with what I captured today. I grew up in Bedford and if I'm honest, I haven't been back in a while. Because it's my hometown, I always get that weird sense of recognising nearly everyone I see, despite me not being back there in quite a few months. I made some great contacts at this event, including a dude called Rio who ran one of the street dance companies. You never know where future work may come from! I'll send them some shots through next week.










No comments:

Post a Comment